This drill teaches the skill of shielding the ball while running down field with it. Place the 5 cones or markers as shown by the small orange circles in the picture below. Cones should be placed 5 yards (or 5 meters) apart. Also the middle 3 cones should be staggered by 2 yards (or 2 meters) to create a narrow corridor between them.
1) The player starts at the first cone. The 3 middle cones represent defenders and the idea is that the player always tries to put his or her body between the cone and the ball as the player is running past the 3 middle cones.
2) As the player starts to run from the first cone, the ball should be on his or her left side.
3) Once the player passes the second cone, he or she should move the ball to the right side of their body and run with the ball in this position until they pass the third cone.
4) Once the player passes the third cone, then he or she should move the ball to the left side of their body and run with the ball in this position until they pass the fourth cone and make it to the last (fifth) cone.
5) Dribble around the last cone and come back to the same position.
6-8) Dribble back to the first cone and move the ball to the left or right side of the body that is opposite to the side that the cone is on.